How to login and out
When you're in a BT Openzone Wi-Fi hotspot or outdoor coverage area with your wireless-enabled device:
- insert a Wi-Fi card or switch on wireless capability
- select BT Openzone from the Wi-Fi signal icon in your system tray and connect
- open your web browser - a BT Openzone login page will appear. If it doesn't, type 'www.btopenzone.com' into your browser's address bar
- select BT Openzone (if not already selected) and login by entering your username and password - a new web browser window will open confirming you're connected
- minimise, rather than close, the web browser window - now you're ready to browse the internet
- launch your virtual private network (VPN) now, if you're using one, and login - once connected to your VPN, you'll have internet access
When you want to end your session on the internet:
- exit any VPN first
- maximise the web browser window that's showing you're connected to BT Openzone
- click on the log-out button to disconnect
Note: if you accidentally lose the web browser window confirming your connection, type https://www.btopenzone.com:8443/home or https://www.btopenzone.com:8443/status into your address bar and the window will reappear.
Important: if you're using Windows XP (SP2) or Windows Vista and view wireless connection status, you'll see BT Openzone described as an 'Unsecured wireless network' or similar. Windows XP (SP2) and Windows Vista describe most public access wireless networks in this way. Please ignore this. BT Openzone uses sophisticated 128-bit public key encryption during login to protect transfer of your data. Account traffic is encrypted and your account is password protected.
Important note about logging out
You must log out correctly, otherwise your account will stay open and you may have to pay charges for a further 15 minutes. Your account automatically shuts down due to inactivity after 15 minutes.
Need technical help with Wi-Fi?
If you've a problem, please see our common questions.
* Calls to this number are free from BT landlines and BT payphones. However, they are not free to call from mobile phones - the cost will vary between service providers.
** International number is charged at your telephone provider's international call rates.